Thursday, January 03, 2013

Time for a quick vote.

To those fine people following my journey, I'd like to get your feedback on one quick item.  I had a great deal of success finding all of the lighthouses today -- save one.  The Saginaw River Rear Range.  It's here in Bay City (where I'm staying this evening).

The problem is, the lighthouse exists on Dow Chemical property -- and there are no roads (that I'm allowed to drive on) that gets to it.  Unfortunately, there's no "other bank" to view it from either.  In these kinds of cases, the only option is by boat.

BUT.

It's winter, so the river that the lighthouse is on is actually frozen.  I noticed there are some ice fishers out there, so it must be thick enough for walking.  I walked about 50 feet or so on it late this afternoon (very close to the shore), but it was getting dark -- and at the time didn't have the Google Maps satellite view handy to get a better glimpse of how close I was.  On top of that, it was VERY SLIPPERY.  

But now that I'm back at the hotel with some wonderful wifi internet access, I've taken another look at the satellite view.  Here's the picture:  




I estimate it's about 1500 feet each way.   And here's what the lighthouse actually looks like:



So the question to the group is -- should I try again tomorrow first thing?  Or should I skip this one, and scurry on to the others.  Tomorrow is going to be a busy day -- with plenty more to see.

Thanks!!!

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I vote to move on.

David Andrew Remington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Andrew Remington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That looks like a mighty fine light house, and it is probably pretty tempting to add it to your gallery. But, I agree with Kevin... better to move on, unless you bought some waders!

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful lighthouse and I agree with Tami...be safe and move on to the next one...