Friday, January 04, 2013

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

One quick story, before I get to my miscellaneous musings.

First detail to share, is that the Old Presque Isle Lighthouse is closed to vehicles.  For all I know, it might be closed to pedestrians too -- but I'm not going to let a minor detail like that stop me.  So I park the car on the side of the road, walk around the gate, and hike it back.  It was probably about three quarters of a mile over slippery ice and snow.

No big surprise, I'm there by myself.  The lighthouse is quiet, serene, and stoic.  It's right on the shore off of Lake Huron and Presque Isle Harbor.  So I walk around.  Admire its beauty.  Take a number of photographs.  And pack up for the long walk back.

But before I go, I notice that there is a large bell mounted right outside the lighthouse tower.  There's a sign on it, that says it was taken from the old Lansing City Hall clock tower, weights 3425 pounds, and is 60% heavier than the Liberty Bell.  Pretty impressive.  Here's a picture:



Now you might also notice, as I did, that there's a large hammer hooked up next to it.  So I can't resist but take a look.  Hmmm... hooked to a lever of some sort.  I wonder what will happen if I pull back on... and in a split second, it slips out of my hand and goes zipping towards the bell.

Not only is it a large bell from Lansing.  Not only does it weigh 3425 pounds.  Not only is it 60% heavier than the Liberty Bell.  But it's also about 1000% LOUDER that I ever would have expected it to be.  A very serious and sturdy G O N G echoed around Presque Isle Harbor -- and probably Lake Huron for that matter.  So much for being an "incognito" post-season lighthouse photographer!  Needless to say, I walked that .75 mile return path at a record pace -- just to be safe!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny! Something like your Dad would have done while scaredy FM would be saying over and over "please don't do that- someone's going to come after us!" Fortunately for you no one did. Congrats on your nerve. Scaredies miss a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Question is...if the hammer hadn't accidentally fallen out of your hands, would you have intentionally hit the bell? :) -Shivani